Last updated: January 13, 2022
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information We Collect About You
We at ZFC may obtain your personal information through three channels: (1) information you provide directly to us; (2) information we collect automatically when you use the Site; and (3) information we obtain from other sources.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you sign up to receive updates, request information, fill out a form or survey, sign a petition, sign up as a volunteer, sign up for an event, submit content, participate in a contest or promotion, make a donation or purchase, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request support, send us a text or email, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, contact information (such as email address, postal address, and phone number), credit card and other payment information (although payment information is generally collected directly by a third-party processor), and any other identifying information you choose to provide or authorize to collect about yourself or others.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) may require us to collect certain personal information from donors. For example, the FEC requires us to collect (and disclose to them) the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of all individuals whose donations to ZFC exceed $200 per election cycle.
Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our Site, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log and Usage Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Site, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Site, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information. We also collect information from your device that you authorize us to collect, such as your contacts for purposes of providing you functionality that allows you to share messages with your contacts. Please consult your device settings for choices you may have to limit our access to this information.
- Transactional Information: If you make a donation or purchase, we may collect information about the transaction, such as donation amount, purchase price, product detains, and date and location of the transaction.
- Location Information: We may derive the approximate location of your device, such as from your IP address.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use different technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Site and your experience, see which areas and features of our Site are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used in our Site or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see Your Choices below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We and our service providers may also obtain information about you from other sources and combine that with information we collect about you on our Site. For example, we may collect voter file data from state and county parties and other democratic organizations, from public databases and public sources and from private organizations. We may also receive information from a social media site if you connect to us or our Site through that site.
USE OF INFORMATION
We may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Site;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts,
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and provide technical support;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and requests; request feedback or support, and otherwise contact you about your participation in the campaign and the use of the Site;
- Communicate with you about the campaign, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, activities, and volunteer opportunities, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (see Your Choices below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- To solicit volunteers, donations and support for ZFC and for other candidates, issues and organizations that we support and to connect you with other volunteers;
- Contact you if Federal election laws require us to request additional information from you;
- Remind you to vote and register to vote and assist you in finding your registration information, polling location and campaign events near you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Site;
- Personalize and improve the Site and provide advertisements, content or features based on your user preferences, interests, and browsing and online activities;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Detect, investigate, prevent, and respond to fraudulent transactions, abuse, security issues, and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of ZFC, users of our sites, and others, including by enforcing our Terms & Conditions; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
- With vendors, service providers, volunteers, and consultants who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With candidates, organizations, campaigns, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives or share similar goals and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups;
- Subject to applicable contractual or legal restrictions, in connection with the sale or exchange of your information and related data to a broker or other non-profit or for-profit entity;
- With other participants in a joint fundraising committee;
- To report required information to the Federal Election Commission, including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in an election cycle (for additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov);
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect or defend our rights, protect the safety and security of ZFC, users of our Site or others, or to investigate suspected fraud, abuse, security issues, and other illegal activities;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ZFC, its employees, volunteers, constituents, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of new committee or successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of ZFC;
- With your consent or at your direction, including if: (1) we notify you through our Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information; (2) you submit content or information on a public area of the site or information that is intended to be shared on the Site; (3) you intentionally interact with third-parties on our Site.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used by those third parties to identify you.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND THIRD PARTIES
If you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, or to the press.
SOCIAL SHARING FEATURES
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Site with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the relevant social media site. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS SERVICES PROVIDED BY OTHERS
For more information about interest-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices. You can also change your browser settings to block cookies, although doing so may disable some features of our Site.
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO THE U.S.
ZFC is based in the United States, and is directed to U.S. residents, and we process and store information in the U.S. If you are located outside the U.S., we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access to your information in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies, however, this does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies that may be used in connection with our Sites. You can also review your choices regarding behavioral advertising cookies at www.aboutads.info/choices. If you choose to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or browser. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Site.
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites and online services should do when they receive these signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a standard for responding is established, we may revisit our policy on responding to these signals.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages from ZFC by following the instructions in those emails or text messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations. Please note that opt-out requests may not take effect immediately and may take a reasonable amount of time to receive, process, and apply, during which time your information shall remain subject to your prior privacy settings. Further, please note that (unless required by applicable law) we may not be able to retrieve or rescind any information provided to third parties prior to your election to opt out.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please contact us at PO Box 220363, Great Neck, NY 11022.