Our democracy is arguably under the greatest threat it has faced since the Civil War. As of January 2022, state legislators have introduced over 250 bills to restrict voting rights. Across our country, election deniers have undermined faith in our democratic institutions, and many citizens have lost confidence that the government can deliver real results. Preserving our democracy will require significant reforms to protect the right to vote and make our government responsive to everyday people – not just billionaires or big corporations.
We need federal legislation now to ensure that the right to vote remains the right of every single American citizen. I will be a leader in Congress in rallying around the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to ensure that every American has a fair and equitable opportunity to cast their vote. I will stand up to the lies broadcast by the right-wing media that undermine our democratic institutions. And I will ensure that every Queens and Long Island resident has their voice heard.
In Congress, I will:
- Support the For the People Act to reform our election systems and get corporate money out of politics
- Support the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act
- Advocate for the restoration of the pre-clearance provisions of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which were eliminated by the extremist conservative Supreme Court in 2013, to ensure that states cannot enact racist voter suppression policies that disenfranchise black and brown communities
- Enact legislation to combat voter suppression by supporting the expansion of automatic voter registration and vote-by-mail
- Protect existing laws permitting early voting
- Support the Election Day Holiday Act to make Election Day a federal holiday
- Support the Washington D.C. Admission Act to grant statehood for the District of Columbia
- Support the Spotlight Act to require more transparency from dark money groups by forcing them to disclose their major donors to the IRS
- Expand voter registration and voting access while limiting the politically-motivated purging of registered voters from voter rolls
- Oppose corporate influence in our government
I refuse and will continue to refuse to accept Corporate PAC money in my campaign.