Growing up as a closeted gay kid on Long Island in the ‘70’s, I felt like I didn’t have a voice until I discovered political activism. I remember the isolation and ignorance of that time – I even had a trusted guidance counselor once suggest “conversion therapy.” Now, with hate once again on the rise, we simply can’t go back.
We are living in an era where bias crimes and acts of violence against the LGBTQ+ community are rising yearly and anti-LGBTQ+ legislation, especially legislation targeting the trans and gender non-conforming community, is being advanced by state legislatures across our country at unprecedented speed. Most tragic of all is that recent studies show that 1 in 5 trans youth have attempted suicide in the last year. These are our children. Every single child deserves to feel safe, cared for, and accepted for who they are. It’s our collective responsibility to ensure this in our community, and to drive out the hate and bigotry that threaten our children.
As a candidate, I want every member of our LGBTQ+ community to know that you are loved and respected. In Congress, I will be dedicated to fighting back against anti-LGBTQ+ bigotry whenever it occurs, and protecting the rights and dignity of all people.
In Congress, I will:
- Support the Equality Act, which would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes
- Support the Fair and Equal Housing Act to prohibit housing discrimination against LGBTQ+ people
- Support additional policies to address the epidemic of LGBTQ+ youth homelessness, including strong strong anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, as well as family counseling and mediation programs which have been shown to be effective in reducing LGBTQ+ youth homelessness, and increased funding for low-barrier housing programs and critical services needed to support LGBTQ+ youth
- Support the John Lewis Every Child Deserves a Family Act to prohibit discrimination against LGBTQ+ couples in the adoption process or as foster parents
- Support a federal ban on the cruel and inhumane practice of “conversion therapy”
- Stand up to bigotry whenever it occurs and stand in solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community and other marginalized communities