America is a nation of immigrants, and our commitment to our ideals means that anyone willing to work hard and play by the rules deserves the opportunity to become a citizen. It’s not just a reflection of our values as a country – immigration fuels our economy and, indeed, makes America great. That’s why I support comprehensive immigration reform with a pathway to citizenship for undocumented and documented people.
When the Trump administration issued its family separation policy at the southern border, I fought against this inhumane policy. However, there is more work left to be done to undo the damage caused by the Trump administration’s demagoguery and anti-immigrant policies. Congress must prioritize keeping families together, reunify families who were previously separated, and provide a clear path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. I believe in an immigration policy that supports our country’s continued economic growth and treats all immigrants with dignity and humanity.
In Congress, I will:
- Support a comprehensive immigration reform package which includes:
- Providing a pathway to citizenship for the over 11 million undocumented people living in the U.S.
- Providing a permanent path to citizenship for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients and Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders, as well as expanding eligibility for these programs
- Funding for immigration courts to ensure fair, equitable, and prompt hearings for asylum applications and other immigratiton cases, and to help remove the backlog and red tape currently plaguing our immigration system
- Oppose a Trumpian “border wall” and other inhumane immigration policies advocated by the extreme right
- Promote a U.S. foreign policy which addresses the root causes of undocumented immigration – including economic instability, violent conflict, and the drug trade