Across our district, families are struggling with inflation and an increasingly high cost of living, access to affordable housing, and the ongoing gas price crisis. We need a representative in Congress who will fight for working families and use the full power of the federal government as a tool to bring costs down and help build our middle class. Especially as we continue to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, promoting an equitable and prosperous economy across Long Island and Queens will be among my top priorities in Congress.
Key to strengthening our economy and supporting our working families is standing in full solidarity and support of organized labor. Unions built the U.S. economy, and they built our middle class. Today, union jobs still provide workers with higher average pay, better benefits, and safer workplaces.
However, we’re living in a time when Republican attacks on the right to organize – whether through passing dangerous and misleading “Right to Work” laws or the Supreme Court’s undermining of public-sector unions in Janus v. AFSCME – have threatened not just the livelihoods, but the fundamental rights of working people across our country. I’ve always stood side-to-side with labor, and am committed to advancing a worker-first agenda in Congress.
In Congress, I will:
- Pass the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act to strengthen collective bargaining rights and enact penalties for union-busting, so that workers can be free to exercise their right to join a union
- Fight to enact a $15 per hour minimum wage
- Support full restoration of the State and Local Tax (SALT) Deduction to stop unfairly penalizing New York families and help lower the burdens faced by homeowners in our region
- Support a renewal of the expanded federal Child Tax Credit (CTC), which lifted millions of children out of poverty and gave critical economic relief to low and middle-income families
- Advocate for full funding of our public school systems and fight for higher teacher pay and additional investments in educating the next generation
- Support a federal gas tax holiday to provide relief at the pump to families struggling with high gas prices and access to affordable means of transportation
- Support provisions of the Build Back Better agenda to invest in America’s workforce and promote the jobs of the future in industries like green energy
- Support legislation to crack down on price gouging and protect American consumers
- Invest in our commercial infrastructure to address supply chain challenges and shortages of consumer goods
- Oppose any attempts to pass federal so-called “Right to Work” legislation, which is fundamentally anti-union